Monday, 10 September 2012

LAWLESS

So, last week I saw an advanced screening of Lawless. Yes, I am bragging, but only because I was very excited to see this film. And for the first time in ages, I wasn't disappointed.

For those of you who don't know, Lawless is the film version of The Wettest County in the World, which tells the real story of brothers Howard, Forrest and Jack Bondurant who run a successful bootlegging business in Virginia during prohibition (which may need to be capitalised, I have no idea.) It boasts an impressive cast - Tom Hardy, Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, and Gary Oldman - as well as Shia LaBeouf, who didn't totally ruin this movie.

In fact, it's a brilliant film. Seriously, it's so good that even Shia LaBeouf couldn't spoil it for me. Shia LaBeouf. I haven't enjoyed a film this much since I saw The Help, even though it has to be said that is completely different. I've been looking forward to it for a while, and I was impressed. I was also surprised by how funny it is, which I didn't expect at all. It's also a lot less violent than I was led to believe, and there's almost no sexual content in it (not a problem, but it was something that was mentioned in reviews I'd seen).

The cast are all very good, there isn't really a weak link. Okay, Shia's the weak link, but even he was pretty good. Tom Hardy is magnificent, as always. It's a special kind of man who can appear menacing even while wearing a cardigan.

So go and see it. Really. You owe it to yourself to see this film.



1 comment:

  1. It's a special kind of man who can appear menacing even while wearing a cardigan.

    Ha! I need to check this out. Thanks for the post. :)

    ReplyDelete