Friday, 21 September 2012

Flashfiction Friday #06: Raw Edges

"People talk about tying up loose ends. You can get people to do that for you. You can get people to deal with all the loose ends in the world, to tie them up nice and neat or cut 'em off at the point they start to fray. It's not hard. Anyone can do it as long as you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty. Dealing with the raw edges on the other hand...well, that's a little harder. That requires a little skill. A little tact. And, of course, getting your hands a little dirtier. Most people won't do that. Even the ones who'll tie up their loose ends, even the ones who'll tie other people's loose ends up, most of them don't want to be getting involved with the raw edges. And that's where I come in.

"I handle raw edges. Families, friends, lovers, co-workers. Usually, when someone gets taken out of their surroundings, when a loose end is tied up, there's collateral damage. Usually, not always, it's always a good day for my bosses when there's no collateral damage, but it's a better day for me when there is. You have to smooth the transition, you see. You have to ease people in. Snap your fingers and someone's gone, but people notice. People always notice. You don't want them running to the police. You don't want them tracking you down. And, honestly, you don't want to hurt them. What's the point? I've never hurt anyone. I've never killed anyone. I help. I'm paid to help. I'm like the grief counsellor these people don't know they're seeing. And if that's a crime...well, then, lock me up."

"Yes, that's all very interesting, but it doesn't answer the question."

"What was the question again?"

"Where were you on the night of August fifth?"



No comments:

Post a Comment