Wednesday, 12 September 2012

Editing. Redrafting. Editing. Blah.

So yesterday, I started editing my most recent novel. I was supposed to start on Monday, but there was a big bag of Minstrels that kept staring at me and I couldn't concentrate. To my credit, I did not open the big bag of Minstrels. They're still staring at me.

I'm one of those people that hates editing. Rewriting a draft from scratch I actually don't mind so much. After the initial fury when I realise that I'm going to have to start the damn thing all over again, I actually quite enjoy doing it. Editing on the other hand...blah. Can't stand it.

This novel is a special case, though. Normally, I leave the editing for a long time after finishing the first draft. It's really important for me to distance myself from the work so that I can look at it with fresh eyes. Usually, I'll write another novel in between, so it's hard to say how long I usually leave the first novel to cool, as it varies depending on what I'm writing next and how well I've planned it. This time around, however, I'm working on a novel that I stupidly decided to write for a competition. To enter, all you needed was the first 4000 words. When I entered the competition, all I had was those 4000 words.

A mad dash to write the rest and leave enough time to do a half-decent edit ensued.

Now the time to edit has rolled around, and I'm struggling. I only finished the first draft four weeks and two/three days ago. For me, that's nowhere near enough time to let the book sit. I'm not in the right frame of mind for editing, but I'm persevering. Or pretending to. Starting to think that keeping the big bag of Minstrels in the room is going to severely hinder the process. Still, if they weren't staring at me, something else would be distracting me. Like writing blog posts.



No comments:

Post a Comment