Wednesday, 15 August 2012

THE BOURNE LEGACY

It's hard to say whether I was looking forward to this film or not. I really liked the original Bourne trilogy and so I knew I'd go and see it, but I'm not a big Jeremy Renner fan and I couldn't really see a Bourne film without Jason Bourne actually working. So I didn't have high expectations going in, but the film failed to meet even then.

The whole thing is a set-up for a new trilogy/franchise, that much is very obvious. The whole two hours should have been condensed into the first twenty minutes of another film, one with an actual story. The first half of the film is catching you up on the original films and informing you, in case you hadn't figured it out, that the CIA is bad and full of bad people who shouldn't be in charge of feeding themselves, let alone anything else. The second half of the film is a mix of ridiculously long action sequences (there are only so many car-chase elements you can use before you have to start repeating them) and boring chatter linking them together.

Then there's the footage from The Bourne Ultimatum (the third one), which I didn't see the point of including. Sure, it meant they could use the clips in a trailer without people then complaining that Matt Damon didn't make a single appearance, but it all seemed a bit pointless to me. Which is another key issue with the film, the lack of Matt Damon. Now, I'm not a huge fan of his either, but I think the film did miss him. Jeremy Renner's fine, a bit bland but I guess it's probably best that super secret spies are bland. He just didn't really seem to have much to do. There's no development of his character, he doesn't have any need to portray emotions. A mannequin with a tape recorder inside of it could have done the same job, though I don't think that's Renner's fault. I think the role wasn't written very well. Even Edward Norton (who I do like) seemed wasted, and Rachel Weisz's character...well, the less said about her the better, I think.

Overall, I was severely unimpressed. If it gets a sequel, which it probably will, that might be a good film. This was just too concerned with setting up a new story that it forgot to include the story part. I think it's safe to say that The Bourne Ultimatum remains my favourite of the series, and this one sits comfortably in last place.



No comments:

Post a Comment