Sunday, 12 August 2012

STARTERS

Starters by Lissa Price

Callie has no money and a brother to feed. Her parents are dead and she's desperate. So she decides to rent out her young teenage body to an elderly person for a short period of time, so that the renter can experience youth again. Except Callie discovers that the renter intends to use her body to murder and leave Callie to take the blame.

Hmm...I'm still not sure about this one. I read it a couple of weeks ago and haven't quite made up my mind about it. The concept was what attracted me to it, I'm starting to get a little bit sick of YA dystopian and this one had an idea I hadn't seen before.

It's a slow starter. For those of you who have read The Hunger Games, you remember how long it took to dress Katniss up and get her ready to be revealed to the public? This book takes that to a whole other level. It may be that I am not the average teenage girl (okay, I'm 21, but you know what I mean) but I really don't care whether Callie is pretty or not. I don't care if her hair looks better straight or curly. I simply do not care.

Contrary to this, the ending feels really rushed, especially given the fact that it will have a sequel. In fact, I really didn't like the very end part at all, it kind of made me not want to read the sequel. Ignoring the start and the end, though, I did quite enjoy this book. I stayed up late reading it a few nights in a row, constantly thinking "just one more chapter before bed."

I probably wouldn't recommend this book - if you're after a really good YA dystopian novel, I'd still direct you to Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series before anything else - but I have a feeling I'll be buying the sequel just to see how things turn out.



No comments:

Post a Comment