Sunday, 12 August 2012

SORRY

Sorry by Zoran Drvenkar

Four young people set up an agency that apologises to people. All is going well, until they're sent to an apartment where they find a body and a set of instructions.

I'll admit, I had utterly no idea what this book was about when I bought it. I'll admit, I was drawn to it simply because of the nifty cover.

It was excellent.

I can't say much about the plot without spoiling it, but there are multiple points of view and things happening in different time-frames. It's not something you can skim, but I promise it's worth the extra effort. It's one of those rare books that have a gripping plot and are beautifully written.

If I had one complaint, it's that some of the characters are better defined than the others. For example, it features brothers Wolf and Kris. If their dialogue wasn't clearly tagged, I had no idea which of them was speaking. I had a similar issue with Frauke and Tamara, but a lot of the time it didn't really matter which of them was speaking. I really am just digging for a criticism.

This book is definitely worth a read (and it has black-edged pages, so you need a copy even if you never bother to read it), but in the interests of a fair warning - this is not a book for the easily disturbed. Seriously. I was unsettled by it, and it takes a lot to unsettle me. I can't tell you what the problem is without spoiling the entire book, but take my word for it. If you're looking for a happy read, this is not it.



No comments:

Post a Comment