Friday, 10 August 2012

Flashfiction Friday #01: In the Beginning

So, a couple of months ago I organised and participated in Flash 31, in which I and a few others wrote a flashfiction every day for 31 days. Now, I've decided I'm going to run my own similar challenge on this blog, called Flashfiction Friday. As you might have guessed from its name, every Friday I'll write a new flashfiction and post it here for you all to read. (Some may not get posted until Saturday, but I'll definitely write them on Friday, so it totally counts.)

The plan is to use a prompt, and, because I'm a complete idiot/glutton for punishment, I'm letting people submit their prompts. You just need to leave your suggestion in the comments below. I'll put them all in the hat, regardless of what I think of them. Because I really am an idiot.

If you're doing something similar, I'd love to hear about it. Feel free to leave a link to your blog (with a quick message explaining why you've left said link otherwise I'll get confused) in a comment on one of the posts.

All this information is also on the Flashfiction Friday page, which you'll find near the top of the right-hand column. And without further ado, here's the first flashfiction...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the beginning there was a man and a woman, because, let’s face it, there always is. The man, of course, spent his days trying to impress the woman, because we all know that men only think about one thing. Marriage. What did you think I meant? Men are as pre-occupied with living happily ever after as women are, they’re just a damn-sight better at hiding it. Anyway, the man spent his days trying to impress the woman, while the woman spent her time doing things she enjoyed – reading, painting, sculpting, gardening, ignoring the man because he was so funny when he was annoyed. Then one day, the man decided he’d had enough of all this nonsense. It was time to think big. He needed a big gesture, one that she couldn’t ignore. And so he climbed the tallest tree in her garden, despite her warning that if he damaged so much as one leaf she’d castrate him while he slept. He hollered and waved at her from the top, and she flicked him a scornful glance. He leapt from the tree, beginning to profess his undying love for the woman. Unfortunately, he didn’t manage to finish what he’d planned to say, because the tree was a lot taller than he’d thought. He hit the ground and broke every bone in his body. The idiot. He died and the woman was all alone. And finally, she had her happy ending.



No comments:

Post a Comment