Monday, 9 July 2012

Waiting for the Next Instalment

I just read this article over at LitReactor about George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series. Basically, it's taking him a really long time to write - five books in 16 years - and there are two left in the series. Some people are worried that he's going to die before he finishes writing it, and he has admitted that he's written none of the rest down in a plan that could be issued/written by someone else if he should die.

Now, I haven't read this series because I have a serious aversion to tiny print on crap paper, but I'm interested in it. People keep telling me to read it, but it annoys me that people would actually leave such comments on Martin's blog or email him such abuse. It's astonishing. When I want to email people abuse (and let's face it, we all do) I keep it to myself.

If Martin writes slowly, he writes slowly. Reminding him that he might die any day now isn't going to make him right any faster. In fact, if someone told me I was writing too slowly, I'd stop writing for a while just to piss them off. But I'm petty like that.

I remember something similar happening with the Harry Potter books, when people worried that J.K. Rowling would get hit by a bus and be unable to finish, but because she had the story all mapped out, that was okay. Because someone else could finish it for her. I just think it's strange when people feel like an author's has to churn out a book every year. Sure, a lot of publishers think it, too, but this really bugged me. And I think I'll hold off on reading the Game of Thrones books until the last one's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment