Thursday, 14 June 2012

THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER

Ohhh, I was so disappointed by this book. It had the potential to be something really, really good. And then it just turned into a hideous mess of things that either made no sense or were just plain irritating.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin follows Mara, as you might expect. After her friends die in an accident that she survives, she and her whole family relocate to give her a fresh start. She's haunted by the memory of her friends and the fact that she can't remember what happened the night of the accident. Then she meets Noah Shaw, and everything becomes infinitely more complicated.

So, yeah, this book. I think my main problem is that it turns out to have its roots in the paranormal (trying so hard not to give away any spoilers here) when the first three-quarters of the book suggest that there is no paranormal involvement at all. I mean, sure, there's the fact that she keeps seeing things she shouldn't and the mysterious accident, but the book presents these things as a result of Mara's post-traumatic-stress-syndrome (or whichever variation they used in the book) and so it is incredibly frustrating to reach the end and have the author turn around and smack you in the face with a paranormal 'explanation.' I don't have a problem with paranormal, per se, I object to it being dropped in at the end with no allusion to it earlier on.

It's a shame, because I really enjoyed most of this book. Up until the part in the swamp, I thought it was great. Then it came crashing down after that point, like so many of the books I've read recently. I definitely won't be buying the sequel.



No comments:

Post a Comment