Friday, 22 June 2012

RED LIGHTS

First of all, I am going to try really hard to avoid any spoilers with this review, but would suggest that you try really hard to read absolutely nothing about this film before going to see it. Not even the promotional material (I saw a poster for the film the other day with a tag-line that would have spoilt the movie for me if I hadn't already seen it by then).

So, Red Lights is a film about people who investigate psychics, or those who claim to have special abilities, to prove that they don't. When one of the most celebrated psychics comes out of retirement, one member of the team is determined to re-investigate him (after all, coming out of retirement after thirty years is suspicious)  and the other is determined not to.

It's very good. I've heard some people complaining that it doesn't really fit any genre and is a complete mess, but I disagree. Yes, it's funny, it makes you jump, it's creepy and it has a soul (sorry, couldn't think of another way to explain it), and that's what makes it work. It's well-written and well-crafted, it's an excellent film.

Up until the last few minutes. But don't let that put you off, go see it anyway. You might well think that the last few minutes are what make the film so good.

Cillian Murphy is predictably excellent. I know everyone is raving about Michael Fassbender at the moment, and, as much as I like Fassbender, Murphy is just as good, if not better. I was also impressed by Elizabeth Olsen, who I hadn't seen in anything before, and pleasantly surprised by Sigourney Weaver. I've never been a fan of hers, but she was good in this. As for Robert de Niro...well, he doesn't have much screen-time, really, but he makes an impact, and what more can you ask for?

So go and see this film, please, because it deserves to be seen and I'm worried that it will pass most people by. And then come back and tell me what you thought, because I'm really intrigued to know how other people feel about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment