Friday, 22 June 2012

FRIENDS WITH KIDS

Last week I got to see an advanced screening of Friends with Kids, the new "comedy" from the people behind Bridesmaids. It also shares two-thirds of the main cast with Bridesmaids. 


In the film, Julie and Jason are best friends who decide to have a baby together without being a couple. They've seen their friends get fall in love, get married and have kids, and end up utterly miserable. They want to avoid falling into the pitfalls by keeping family and romance separate.


Now, I thought Friends with Kids was very funny, up until about two-thirds of the way through. At that point, it stops being funny and gets all serious. And it doesn't work for me. When I go and see a comedy, I want it to be funny all the way through. Of course, the story progresses and there are going to be dramatic or possibly poignant moments, but they need to have an element of humour to them, otherwise the audience comes out feeling deflated and bogged down. Which is so not what you want after a comedy.

I thought most of the cast were good, though I'm always wary when the writer/director casts themself in the lead role, which is what Jennifer Westfeldt has done here. And it's a shame, I can't help feeling that she didn't really work in the role, and should have stuck to being the writer/director. Of course, you have to admire a woman for struggling to find decent roles for a woman her age and deciding to write herself a role.

So, all in all, it's mostly funny. It's mostly well-acted. I'd probably recommend waiting for the DVD instead of paying cinema prices to see it, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment