Thursday, 14 June 2012

ASCEND

It's finally over. Never again will the name Wendy Everly assault my eyes. Unless Amanda Hocking does a Scott Westerfeld and decides her trilogy needs a fourth book, in which case I will kill myself. And no, I don't think that's an overreaction.

So Ascend is the final book in the Switched trilogy. It is not much better than the other two. In fact, I may go as far as to say that it is actually worse than the second book, though both are better than the first.

I don't really have anything to add about this book, although the fact that Tesco decided to put a sticker that will not come off on the front did annoy me. I didn't like the ending either. Recently a lot of books/films/tv shows have ended with a flash-forward to show what happens for the rest of the characters' lives (thanks for that, J.K.) and, even though that's not exactly what happens here, it's close enough. Everyone ends up with someone, and some really quite poor writing is employed to tell you which pairs got together. If you can't find a good way to work it in, don't bother. I'd rather have some mysteries left than be annoyed about how you explain them away.



No comments:

Post a Comment