Tuesday, 15 May 2012

DEADLOCKED

Deadlocked is the latest instalment in Charlaine Harris's 'Sookie Stackhouse' series, the series that True Blood is very loosely based on. Now, by my estimate, it's about book twelve in the series, so I imagine this review won't hold much sway. If you're not interested in the series already, you won't be convinced to buy book twelve. If you're already reading it, me telling you that it's crap won't stop you from buying this one.

Because it's bad. Honestly, none of the books are great. They're so poorly written that sometimes it makes me want to cry. I liked the series and somebody bought me the first three books. When that happens, I feel obliged to read all three, even if I don't like the first. They didn't start off too badly, the stories were quite interesting, but now...first off, I hate the fairies. Okay, I really hate them. Second, Sookie is so stupid that it hurts. It physically hurts me. And third, well...the Eric in the TV series is a lot better than the Eric in the books. And that's not even just because of Alexander Skarsgard. He helps, of course, but that's not the point I'm trying to make.

My biggest issue with this book (I can't list them all, I don't have the time or the energy) is the lack of recapping. Now, I haven't read the last book since it was released, but I expected to understand what was happening in this one. So Sookie is mad at Eric for something, but she won't say what it is. And I don't remember what it is. Then, some woman turns up at Sookie's house and she knows who she is, but I don't. She refers to her as the queen. Still nothing. Then she calls her Freyda. Still no bells ringing. Finally, after several pages, she explains who she is, and it all clicks back into place. I remember who Freyda is and, actually, why Sookie was mad at Eric. Is it so hard to drop in a line early in the book to jog my memory? No, I don't think it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment