Wednesday, 22 February 2012

TEMPEST

Tempest, by Julie Cross, is a weird book. A really weird book.

In 2009, Jackson's girlfriend Holly is shot. Jackson travels back two years to try and save her, but ends up stuck in 2007. He's been time-travelling for a while, but finds out that he's never completed a full jump before, and doesn't know how to get back. While in 2007, he finds out that everything he thought he knew about his life is a lie, and chaos ensues.

I'm not sure what I think about this book, which is why it's taken me so long to post my review (I said on Twitter I'd do it days ago). It wasn't what I expected. Saying that, I'm not actually sure what I expected from this book.

Obviously I expected it would jump around in time, to expect anything else would have been ridiculous, but I found it really difficult to keep track of when things were happening within the storyline. This was partly because in the story, present day is 2009, and so whenever Jackson talks about the time in relation to the present, (ie, this was two years ago) I got a bit muddled.

The other issue I had with it is that not one of the main characters is likeable. Actually, I'll stretch that to say that not one of the minor characters is likeable either. Jackson is a typical fictional teenage boy, who never does anything unexpected. Holly is whiny and boring, which for me was actually a bigger problem than my not liking the protagonist. Jackson is going back in time and doing all these dangerous things (like hacking into restricted CIA files - you know, as you do) to try and save her life, but I couldn't understand why. There was nothing about Holly that made me think, yeah, okay, that's why he's risking his life for her.

And the ending is just...well, non-existent, really. I've been meaning to find out if this book is the first of several and there's a sequel on the horizon, because the ending was as unsatisfying as many books that are intended as the first in a trilogy. Of course, this is supposed to make you want to buy the next in the series, but in this book, I was just irritated. It's not left on a cliffhanger and it doesn't just stop. Jackson does something that basically seems to undercut everything that's happened up to that point. And it was infuriating.

Okay, this has been fairly negative, which wasn't my intention. The book isn't that bad, it just wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. It was a huge disappointment. That being said, I really appreciated the fact that Cross recognises, as few Americans do, that there is not just one British accent, which was a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment