Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Maybe it's just me

I've tried to refrain from using this blog as a soapbox for all my grievances (of which there are many) but today I feel it is utterly necessary for me to have a good moan. Mostly because I have work to do this afternoon, quite a bit of work, and it's important stuff, too, but I won't be able to concentrate on it until I've gotten this off my chest. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be anyone home and the person I usually call when I need to vent my frustrations is at work (I know, it's very selfish of her) so, dear blogosphere, you're going to have to put up with it instead.

I have, upon occasion, been told that I am too picky. Too difficult to please. In the last fortnight, I've bought a couple of DVDs, Melancholia and Winter's Bone. I haven't watched either of them yet, but will probably write up reviews of them when I do. Right before I send them back to the companies I bought them from, because I simply cannot bear to keep them on my shelf.

Notice anything wrong with this picture?


No? How about this one?


The writing on the spines is the wrong way around. I know, I must sound crazy, but this really bugs me. It leaps out at me every time I walk past the DVD shelf, and since I live in a crappy rented house where I only have one room to spend time in, I walk past the DVD shelf a lot. I mean, how hard is it to get the writing the right way around? All DVDs have their writing the same way, it's like an industry standard or something. Go to your DVD shelf now - what do you mean you don't have one? What sane person in this day and age doesn't have a DVD shelf? - and have a look. If they're not arranged in some kind of order, goodbye, I am no longer interested in you (alphabetically is preferable, but I will accept by genre as long as you don't try to tell me it makes things easier to find that alphabetical - what about the DVDs that are a mix of genre?), but just have a quick look. All the writing is...how to explain it? So that if you laid the DVD on a table with the front facing up, the writing on the spine would not be upside down.

So I'm sorry, Artificial Eye, strange DVD manufacturers that I'd never heard of until last week, but I will not be buying any more of your products. Even if you are the people releasing Fright Night in a couple of weeks time, which I'm super excited about. This is just not acceptable.

And while I'm at it - books in boxes. This was, I thought, quite a brilliant idea. It keeps the books together (so you can kid yourself it doesn't matter that Catching Fire comes after the Hunger Games) and also stops them from getting battered or dusty. Why don't all books come in boxes? I'll tell you why - because you can't get the damn things out of them. I actually snapped a nail off the last time I tried to get the Hunger Games out of it's box. It bled. So since I'm going to need it for a class at some point soon (and I'll probably be in a rush) I'm having to keep the books like this:

and it irritates me. I know, I know. I shouldn't care about these things, but I do. And maybe it's just me, maybe nobody else is quite this anal about the way their belongings sit on a shelf, but it really, really bothers me.

Well, thank you for listening to my bizarre ramblings. Normal blogging shall resume next week. Unless something else sets me off. Must not buy any more DVDs. Must not buy any more DVDs.



No comments:

Post a Comment