Tuesday, 17 January 2012

Writer's Block

I have Writer's Block. I've capitalised it so you know just how bad this is.

This isn't something I've ever really experienced before, I'm quite a prolific writer (I won't say anything as to quality or lack thereof in my work, I'm just saying I'm good at getting words onto paper). In the past six years, I've written seventeen novels, totalling somewhere in the region of 1.5million words. Which I think is a lot.

Right now, however, I haven't written anything in over a month. I completed last year's NaNoWriMo, managing the full 50,000 words with a day to spare, and haven't written anything since. Well, that's not strictly true, I had uni assignments to write, but they don't count. My point is, work on the novel has ground to a halt, and I'm not sure why. I thought perhaps assignments and then Christmas and then moving back to uni were just getting in the way, I just didn't have the time to write, but last week I sat down and tried. Really tried. I set myself the challenge of writing 5000 words of basically anything in a couple of hours. I even used WriteOrDie but gave up after just a few hundred words.

So I'm asking for your help. Yes, that's right, you. Have you ever suffered from the dreaded Writer's Block? How did you fight it and get back to writing? Or did you just give up on writing and find a new hobby/dream/vocation?

No comments:

Post a Comment