Monday, 10 October 2011

30 Days of Books Meme (Part 5)

At least, I think this is part five. Oh, well. So, in case you've forgotten or you're new, I'm doing the 30 Days of Books Meme but cheating and doing it in instalments of three because I can. I'm not sure, however, that I can spell instalments. Is it one L or two? Anyway, for full details of the Meme, click the tab-y thing-y on the right.

Day 13 - Your favourite writer
This was not a tricky one. It simply has to go to Neil Gaiman. I'm sure you're all sick of hearing me talk about him, but I don't care. Buy his books. They're exciting, intriguing, interesting, funny, moving and about a hundred other things, but most of all, they're beautifully written. Unfortunately, they're all at home in Reading and I'm at uni in Winchester, otherwise I'd sit here and quote some passages to you to prove my point. As it is, you'll just have to take my word for it and go buy his books. I would particularly recommend, to anyone who has a basic knowledge of London...


Day 14 - Your favourite book by your favourite writer
"Neverwhere" follows Richard Mayhew, a stunningly average guy who helps a girl named Door and then finds himself disappearing from our world. He falls through the cracks and discovers a whole world in the city that he has never noticed before.

It's a fascinating read, a sort of adventure/quest story but with more depth than you might expect, fascinating characters and it's bursting with humour. I actually laughed out loud at it. A lot. If you don't know London, specifically the tube lines and stations, parts of it won't mean much to you, but I don't think it would detract too much from your enjoyment of it. To be honest, Croup and Vandemar are so brilliant that you might not even notice the references passing you by.

It was difficult to choose between this book and "Stardust," (he's written loads of other great books, but those two are definitely my favourites) but "Neverwhere" wins because it's a fair bit longer than "Stardust," meaning there's more to enjoy. (Don't let that put you off, "Stardust" is really, really short).


Day 15 - Favourite male character
[BEWARE, HERE THERE BE SPOILERS]
I don't know why I said that in a pirate-y way (in my head at least) because the character isn't a pirate at all. As far as I know.

You've probably noticed my love for Harry Potter, I might've mentioned it once or twice, but the hero isn't my favourite character. Heroes are boring. In fact, my favourite character from the series has always been Severus Snape. I always thought there was more to him than just disliking Harry, who, let's face it, was pretty annoying at times. And then in Deathly Hallows, I was rewarded with what is possibly my favourite chapter ever written. Okay, that's a broad claim, one that I can't really back up, but he's a fascinating character. I'll be honest, I always find villains much more interesting than heroes. Harry was good because he was. Voldemort was evil because he was. Snape, on the other hand, was much more complicated than either of them, and I love that. I like a good, complicated character. Flawed characters are much better than perfect ones, I love it when a writer has a character do something that is completely unexpected, but at the same time stays true to the character. And Snape, well, Snape's pretty awesome, really.

Hey, look at that, no spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment