Tuesday, 9 August 2011

SUPER 8

Today I went to see Super 8. I don't have a picture because I'm lazy and crabby, but I'm sure I'll put one up soon.

First off, this film is not for kids. It may be rated 12A, and the cast may be primarily kids, BUT DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILDREN TO SEE IT. Especially if said children are stupid little brats who will talk ALL THE WAY THROUGH and be completely unable to sit still.

Seriously, though, I don't think a lot of kids would understand it. I had to pay attention to follow it in places (and apparently I missed a crucial piece of information whilst fantasising about reaching out and strangling a small child) but it was a really good film.

I liked JJ Abrams last film, (I think it was his last) the new Star Trek, but I was a little put off by the fact that the film stars Dakota Fanning's younger sister Elle. I'm not a Fanning fan, but she was pretty good in the film, I have to admit.

It's funny, too, which I didn't expect. And although you can see the ending coming from several miles away (the middle, in fact) it's still quite a good ending, it works. It fits. It's not exactly a groundbreaking ending, or indeed something new from Spielberg (who acted as producer on this one) but it does work, and I guess I have to give them credit for that.

I only really had one issue with the film (after someone explained to me about that crucial piece of information I missed) and I should probably do a [SPOILER ALERT] now. So, if you haven't seen the film, or didn't work out from the trailer basically what's going on in the film, don't read any further. They fell into the trap of revealing the alien/monster/whatever. And once you've seen it, it's not scary anymore. The film isn't terrifying, it certainly made me jump, but it loses something once you've seen the monster. And there really wasn't much need to show it at all.

So, to sum up, kids should be banned from cinemas, it's not a kids film, and it's pretty damn good. I'm going to have to see it again now, though. At midnight. When all the kids are out setting fire to cars and buildings. Because obviously, not one person over the age of twenty-five is joining in with the rioting. Not even when the riots go on until 3am.

2 comments:

  1. I WANT TO SEE THIS. If you're serious about going again (minus the brats) do let me know ... they should all be buggering off back to school in a couple of weeks, so we could go then??

    Also, I do love that Star Trek film - from what I hear they're making a sequel. Huzzah!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, whenever works for you. Maybe this week, though, because I'm so bored. And, obviously, I miss you. It's been like three weeks, bitch. Nope, can't pull that off.

    Yeah, but I don't know if it's the same director. I think the reason it's taken so long to get going is because they wanted him to do the second one, but the last I heard it wasn't settled yet.

    But I also want to see Planet of the Apes and Cowboys vs Aliens and (do not judge me) Fright Night. Yes, I am very cool and I won't hear a word to suggest otherwise.

    ReplyDelete