Thursday, 25 August 2011

30 Days of Books Meme (Part 2)

Here are days 4-6. For the full meme, click the tab on the right.


Day 04 - Favourite book of your favourite series

I caused myself a bit of a problem with this one by picking "Harry Potter" as my favourite series, how can you pick just one to be your favourite? I had it narrowed down to "Order of the Phoenix," "Half Blood Prince," and "Deathly Hallows." After that, it was really process of elimination. I don't particularly like the first half of "Deathly Hallows" even though the second half contains my favourite chapter of the whole book, so that had to go. And then I realised that the film of "Half Blood Prince" made me more angry than any of the others, so on some level that meant that the book was my favourite. It makes sense in my head.


Day 05 - A book that makes you happy

I decided to pick the book that makes me laugh the most. "The More the Merrier" by Anne Fine is essentially a children's Christmas book, and I read it every year. And every year, it makes me laugh out loud. Often hysterically.


At Christmas, everyone comes together at Ralph's house for Christmas; assorted aunts and uncles and cousins, crazy great aunt Ida, and evil Granny who is happy to part with her cash when she thinks it's going to an organisation that teaches parents how best to beat their children. It's a madhouse, and I think most people can relate to it. Is there anyone who actually likes being crammed into a house with their extended family at Christmas? I didn't think so. I can't find my copy of the book, otherwise I'd share some of the funniest lines with you, so you'll just have to go buy a copy and see how funny it is for yourself.


Day 06 - A book that makes you sad

Similarly to day 05, I decided with this one to pick the book that always makes me cry. There are lots of books that make me cry, but "Troy" by Adele Geras really upsets me. Every time.

It's not the book that the Brad Pitt film was based on (actually, I don't think that was based on a book at all) and it follows two serving girls in the final days of Troy. Marpessa and Xanthe are twin sisters, but who are nothing alike, but both suffer greatly in this book. The fact that Marpessa can see and speak to the gods is a little irritating, but I can overlook that because the rest is so beautifully written. It's an excellent book, and if you don't cry at some point, you have a heart of stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment