Sunday, 24 July 2011

News Coverage

I wasn't going to comment on the death of Amy Winehouse, because I've never been a fan and I've never met her, so I consider myself to be basically unaffected by her death. Sure, it's always sad when someone dies, but it happens. However, I've been quite horrified by the amount of coverage her death is receiving given what has happened in Norway. Why does the (let's face it) probable overdose of a known drug addict warrant more coverage and greater tribute than a horrific massacre that has led to the deaths of over 90 young people? I've come up with two potential reasons, the first is that there is a lot more footage of Amy that people can show, and more celebrities that they can talk to about her, because she's been tabloid fodder for years now. My other possible explanation is that she's British, and the young people killed in Norway were not. Make of that what you will.

That's all I had to say, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment