Thursday, 9 June 2011

What is a Spoiler?

So, today I wrote another 2100 words of Outsiders, bringing the running total up to 6900 words. I don't really like what I have so far, but I always find the first 10,000 words the hardest to write. I struggle to get them down, and then, once I've reached the end, I usually rewrite them completely. So I'm not too worried about the quality at this point. Having something to work with is better for me than obsessing over getting every single word perfect before I set it on paper.

What I really wanted to talk about today, however, was Doctor Who. I know, I know, I've probably just labelled myself as a nerd, but I love it. I really do. Although I've been disappointed this series (long story) and am basically furious that they've split the series into two parts. But, those things aside, love it. And yesterday, it was announced that Matt Smith has signed on to do another fourteen episodes of it. Don't get me wrong, I like Matt Smith, I actually prefer him as the Doctor to David Tenant, (although neither one trumps Christopher Ecclestone), but I'm really annoyed that this announcement has been made now. Telling the viewers that Matt Smith will definitely be back ruins the tension for the rest of this series - we know he's not going to die, we know he's not going to regenerate. Tension, gone. Sure, whether Amy and Rory survive, and all the other things going on will create tension, but the show isn't called Doctor Who and His Companions. So it bothered me that this had been announced so far in advance. And it wasn't even hidden, or labelled as a spoiler. It was posted on the BBC Entertainment homepage for all to see. So, it got me thinking, IS it a spoiler? Are casting/production decisions spoilers? What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. It's a spoiler. And seriously... Ecclestone!?

    ReplyDelete