Monday, 6 June 2011

I'm back!

So, this blog was an assignment for my Author Study class, but I've made the executive decision to carry on with it. Just now. It's been a while since I wrote anything that wasn't for a class (almost six months, in fact), and if nobody's reading this blog then that's fine, but I feel like I should be writing something.

So, (and no, I don't start every paragraph with "so", just most of them) starting from today, I'm going to be more productive, even if it just posting a blog entry more frequently. I mean, why not? It can't hurt.

And so, since I'll probably be mentioning it a lot, I should say a little something about the project I'm starting work on. A while ago, I got an idea for a novel called "Outsiders", a young adult sci-fi novel. After World War Three, it is decided that humankind can no longer be trusted with its own survival, and the remaining population is kept in walled cities and secretly drugged in order to keep them docile. The story follows Will, a 16-year-old boy with natural immunity to the drug, who is kicked out of the city after causing too much trouble. He is found by the Outsiders, a group made up of assorted ages, genders and backgrounds, who have found ways to survive outside the city. There he meets Rose, a girl of 15, who he starts to fall for. And that's when everything starts falling apart. In a good way. It's deliberate.

I used the opening 2000 words as my creative piece for my Fiction for Children class, but I had the idea a long time ago and think it's about time I got started on it. If one more person laughs at me for writing sixteen vampire novels, I'll be able to throw this one back in their faces. In a kind and respectful manner, obviously.

So, that's it for now. I'll update again soon. Unless I forget my resolution to be more productive, which is a very real concern.
Lesley

No comments:

Post a Comment