Thursday, 23 June 2011

BRIDESMAIDS

Yes, that is a photo of me and my sister (I'm on the right) as bridesmaids at our auntie's wedding. Don't worry, she won't mind me using her photo. She doesn't even know this blog exists.
-------------------------------------------------------------
So, on Tuesday, I saw a preview of "Bridesmaids" with Kirsten Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Rose Byrne, Chris O'Dowd and Jon Hamm. It's been described as "the female Hangover" but I'm not sure I'd agree with that description.

The story follows Annie (Wiig) who's life has basically fallen apart. We know this because she's single and broke. Her best friend Lillian (Rudolph) gets engaged and asks Annie to be her maid of honour, and, basically, chaos ensues. In a good way.

The film is hilarious. I dragged my mother along grudgingly, because I was desperate to see it, but she had zero interest. Maybe less than zero. And she laughed more than I did. It is really funny; it toes the line between witty banter and all-out gross. And there's a story there, too. I can't abide a film without a good story (which is why I tend to avoid horror movies) and this one was really strong.

I thought it was well-written and well-acted, and I would like to particularly commend Melissa McCarthy, who was brilliant as Megan. I still want to know what happened to the puppies, though. In fact, the only downfall as far as the characters are concerned is the fact that we barely saw the other two bridesmaids once they'd been introduced. Newlywed Becca and mother of three boys Rita. It says a lot that I had to look up what the former was called. They had some great lines, especially Rita, but they weren't developed very well and sort of fell off the radar.

Of course, being an American film, it did have a bit of a Hollywood-Happy-Ending, but it wasn't so bad in this case, because they made it fit the film, and it wasn't a big, showy, Happily Ever After for Everyone Involved Affair.

I almost forgot to talk about it being the female-Hangover thing. It's not "the Hangover" with women instead of men, there's no going off and getting so wasted you can't remember what happened when you wake up the next morning. It's more like the lead-up to the wedding done by women instead of men, and it's just as funny as "the Hangover". It just has a bit more story in there, too.

So I would definitely recommend this film, probably to everyone. If you didn't like "the Hangover", don't assume you won't like this. When I went to see it, there was an even mix of men and women, and a huge range of ages, and as we were leaving, there didn't seem to be anyone who didn't enjoy it. Not one person left the room and didn't come back, which is good.

And if you think you've seen all the funny bits because you've seen all the trailers, you'd be mistaken. In fact, some parts of the trailer aren't even in the film. So go see it. A good comedy with a story, and written by women. It's about time, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment